Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Don't You Look... Smart?

My husband, Raleigh, just introduced me to Flipboard - my newest Ipad app.  I am able to view news from different groups (NC School Counselor Association, Education groups, etc.) in a very cool and easy to read format.  My favorite part about this app is that I am constantly reading cool articles, blogs, etc. that immediately help me in my work with students.

Just came across this article with Flipboard and found it very thought-provoking:
www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/dont-dumb-girls-down-20110829-1jh86.html

Since reading it, I have found myself asking girls and boys, "What was the best book you read today?" whenever I want to comment upon how cute they look! While I think it is important to keep everything in moderation, I do like the idea of focusing upon "smarts" or kids' interests, instead of constantly harping on appearances.  While this can be difficult, especially at Hilburn where  our kids are pretty darn cute all of the time, I think it's important to be aware of what values we are placing upon our children.  Kids are constantly bombarded with media images and messages about appearances, and maybe a good place to start with changing some of those perceptions begins with how we, as adults, talk to kids.

So with that being said, what was the best thing that YOU read today?

No comments:

Post a Comment