Wednesday, November 23, 2011

STEM ... and school counseling?

Hilburn has become a STEM school this year and is focusing upon Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.  While this opportunity has provided amazing resources for us (ipads for grade levels, incredible support staff, cool teaching opportunities), I have to be honest - I wondered a bit how it would affect my role as a school counselor.  Initially, I wondered if my role would really "fit in" with this new school focus.

I discovered that so much of having a STEM focus means applying real world problems to learning situations.  It also means working as a team to determine strategies for solving these problems, and handling the conflicts that arise from this teamwork.  Students have to learn to use helpful communication with one another, while also accepting ideas that are different from their own.

Sounds a lot like what counselors aim to do in all schools!  I'm trying to integrate problem solving into what I do - classroom guidance lessons, small groups, even individual counseling.  Here's my thought/philosophy/hope - If we can teach children the SKILLS and STEPS for problem solving, they will learn to apply those skills to future challenges they face.  While I know that we all make mistakes (and will certainly continue to do so), I have found that I am much more likely to make a smart choice when I fully think about the what I can do... instead of just acting on an impulse!

I am also trying to focus on reframing our thoughts about "problems" and move from being problem-focused to solution-focused.  Instead of thinking about what's wrong, I like to think about what I need to do to make something better.  This can be tough.... especially during those times that we just want to vent ... but can help as we determine next steps to take.  As one of my favorite professors often told me, "Make the problem the project!"  That is what I hope to instill in our students during our STEM-focused year!

So here's the steps I'm teaching (based upon Creative Problem Solving):
-Identify the mess or messes
-Restate your problem  (How might I...)
-List 3-5 solutions.  What's good about them?  What's not good?
-Choose the best way to solve it.
-Reflect... did it work?

No comments:

Post a Comment