Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Power of the Bystander

Recently, my principal gave me a copy of the September issue of Educational Leadership, which centered upon respect in schools.  Much of this issue focused upon the prevalence of bullying in schools and what we can do to help kids respond to it.  While I am always up for learning more about how we can prevent bullying and teach our kids specific strategies to handle the challenges that come from it, my first thought was that this issue would be more of the same.  More of the same things we see on tv daily, read in magazine articles, or see posted on Facebook about the atrocities of bullying. 

I am pleased to report that this issue was different, and, even better, it was helpful!  Articles discussed reports of what KIDS say about bullying... and they're seeing it on the front lines.  One article also reviewed different school wide bullying programs and looked at their effectiveness.  I was surprised (and encouraged) to read that one of the most important factors in successful bullying prevention programs is not focusing upon changing the aggressor or helping the victim to respond - instead it is empowering the bystander to become an ALLY.  When bystanders witness bullying and have strategies for how to respond and help, bullying incidents decrease. 

Kids listed what their peers did that helped the most and here are a few of the responses:
-They were always at my side to make sure I was ok
-I felt safer when I wasn't alone
-They were there for me and helped me instead of ignoring me
http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/sept11/vol69/num01/What-Students-Say-About-Bullying.aspx

I am lucky to say that I was never really bullied, but I have worked with a lot of kids who have been.  I agree - when kids have other students there who "have their back," the bullying does not seem to have as dire consequences.  For those students who feel alone, isolated, and constantly targeted, the results of the bullying are very different. 

My focus this year is on empowering ALL of our students to do everything they can to make our school a more peaceful place.  The best place to start is to be a classmate that helps, instead of hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment